How to Choose a Radiologist
When it’s time to get your yearly mammogram, all of the fancy amenities in the world at your mammogram center don’t matter if the radiologist in charge of your exam isn’t qualified. A qualified radiologist boils down to one who specializes in breast imaging and dedicates a majority of his or her time to interpreting mammogram images.
What Is a Radiologist?
Radiologists are medical doctors (M.D.) who specialize in both diagnosing and treating diseases and injuries using a variety of medical imaging technologies like x-rays, CT scans, and MRIs. A radiologist can treat cancer and heart disease using radiation and perform minimally invasive surgery using image-guided instruments. In addition, a radiologist:
- Studies images for diagnostic purposes and forwards the interpretation to a referring physician
- Provides your referring physician detailed medical images to assist in the diagnosis of diseases or injuries
- Oversees technicians in the proper use of medical equipment to ensure quality results
- Decides on the best type of medical imaging for your condition
- Recommends additional testing as necessary for treatment
What Should I Look for When Choosing a Radiologist?
When it’s time for your mammogram, you want to ensure the facility you choose is accredited by the American College of Radiology (ACR). The ACR sets standards a facility must meet to remain a member in good standing. These requirements include:
- Properly maintaining all equipment and film
- Staying within the guidelines for proper radiation dosage
- Ensuring radiologists and technicians maintain their proper credentials
The ACR awards a badge of “Breast Imaging Center of Excellence” to mammogram facilities that meet additional standards to achieve this valuable distinction. These standards include:
- Obtaining full accreditation in the field of mammography
- Offering accredited health services of stereotactic breast biopsies and breast ultrasounds at their facility or at another site within their medical system
How Should I Prepare for an Appointment with a Radiologist?
The first step when researching radiologists to perform your mammogram is to make sure they work at a fully accredited facility under the guidelines set by the ACR. Additionally, call the center and ask if the radiologists have completed a fellowship in breast imaging or spend more than half of their time studying breast images. If the facility won’t release this information or will not let you request an appointment with the radiologist of your choice, you should consider looking for another facility.
Choose PURE Mammography for Your Next Mammogram
PURE Mammography is home to several top radiologists specializing in breast imaging for patients on Long Island and the surrounding areas. Our radiologists are accredited by prestigious radiology boards and are dedicated to providing the best care possible in the area of breast imaging.
When you choose PURE, you’re getting the highest quality care available on Long Island. We offer:
- State-of-the-art 3D mammography for more accurate results
- Same day appointments and results
- Board-certified radiologists with sub-specialties in breast imaging
- Relaxing examination rooms designed to make your experience as comfortable as possible
Mammograms are the single most effective tool in the early detection of breast cancer. When you choose a mammogram facility, make sure you choose one that is dedicated to patient care and satisfaction. Contact PURE today make an appointment and learn more about what our facility has to offer.