Importance of Breast Cancer Screening on Long Island
Screening mammograms are the best means to preventing late-stage breast cancer. Don’t procrastinate, get your annual mammogram at PURE Mammography on Long Island today — it might just save your life.
- Over 245,000 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be discovered among women in the United States in 2016, and over 40,000 women this year alone will lose their lives to this disease, according to the American Cancer Society.
- The goal of breast cancer screening is to reduce deaths from breast cancer by detecting it early, while treatment is more effective and less harmful.
- According to the National Cancer Institute, since mammography screening became widespread in the early 1990s, the U.S. breast cancer death rate, unchanged for the previous 50 years, decreased by over 30%.
- 75% of women diagnosed with breast cancer have no special identifiable risk factors. Screening only women with risk factors will miss the vast majority of women who will develop breast cancer.
- Numerous studies show that even when women have access to the latest therapies, deaths from breast cancer decline at a much higher rate in women who get mammograms.
Mammograms are the single best tool to find breast cancer at its earliest stages — long before you or your doctor can feel a lump. Having regular 3D mammograms performed by an experienced board-certified breast imaging specialist is the best way to detect abnormalities early. Visit PURE Mammography in the Smith Haven Mall today, no appointment necessary. You can also call 631-652-3424 or fill out the form on this page to pre-schedule an appointment or to learn more about PURE.